Thursday, January 04, 2007

Getting Dressed: Underwear

When I begin my kitsuke practice, I begin with a bra and (sometimes) underpants. Underpants were not traditionally worn with kimono and if you've ever tried to go to the bathroom while wearing a kimono, you'll understand why. When I am in kimono, it's one of the few times I actively seek out a Japanese-style toilet (colloquially called "squat pots"), as it is actually easier to use them rather than a western-style toilet.

In addtion to the logistical problem of trips to the bathroom, you can get VPL's if you wear underpants with kimono, since the kimono is actually pulled fairly tight across the bum. Special kimono underpants (with a split/snap/velcro) crotch are available, but why bother? If I really feel I need 'em, I have a pair of granny thunderpants that work well and don't result in VPL's. Don't get me started on thongs. What's the point?

Kimonos look best on small busts, since they don't spoil the "mune" (chest) of the kimono. Back in the day, women used to wrap their chests. Some may still do. I know how to do this (my teacher showed me how) but involves a lot of fabric and work. What I found works best is a sports bra or camisole (it needs to have a deep back, though, as a racer back will show, because the kimono is worn low on the nape of the neck). The more of a masher the bra is, the better.

I'll spare you the pictures of me in my skivvies.

The next thing I put on is Tabi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home